ONS Seeks Editor for the Oncology Nursing Forum
The Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) seeks a dynamic and visionary oncology nurse to serve as editor of the Oncology Nursing Forum (ONF).
The mission of ONF, an official publication of ONS, is to disseminate the findings from oncology nursing research and to foster the translation of research evidence to practice. ONF publishes six times per year and includes quantitative and qualitative research as well as systematic reviews.
The ONF editor works with ONS staff to ensure that the journal’s content supports the ONF mission and is appropriate and appealing to readers interested in research by accepting timely and relevant manuscripts, mentoring authors, selecting and working with reviewers, and leading editorial board meetings and journal programs and activities.
This position requires the following:
- 10 years of experience in nursing and 5 years of experience in oncology or a comparable combination of experience
- PhD in nursing
- Experience as an editor or assistant editor of a peer-reviewed journal and a working knowledge of nursing publications and publishing
- A thorough understanding of the topics of interest to oncology nurses who are involved in research and evidence-based practice
- Excellent leadership and consensus-building skills
- A thorough understanding of publishing ethics
- Strong writing, editing, planning, communication, and meeting facilitation skills
- A wide network of colleagues in oncology, nursing, and publishing
- Mentoring experience
- Adherence to production schedules and deadlines
- Ability to learn and appropriately use the online peer-review program
- Ability to travel up to 2 times per year and participate on up to 6–12 conference calls per year
Responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Provide review of all submitted content, determining which articles advance to peer review.
- Manage the online peer review process for all manuscripts, ultimately determining which will be accepted and published.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with the publishing policies.
- Provide technical editing of all accepted manuscripts, adhering to established schedules.
- Lead the ONF Editorial Board and Review Board, include recruitment and orientation.
- Write editorials or coordinate authorship by guest writers.
The ONF editor is an independent, paid contractor of ONS. The initial term is three years, with the possibility of a one-term renewal. Interested candidates should submit the following materials by clicking HERE by May 31, 2019:
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of interest
- Responses to the following:
- Describe your experience as an editor or assistant editor of a peer-reviewed scholarly journal.
- Should you become the editor of ONF, how will the journal continue to provide high-quality content for readers?
- How would the journal evolve?
All submissions will be reviewed, and candidates selected to advance to the interview phase will be notified during summer 2019. The editor will be selected prior to September 2019, with training to begin in fall 2019 before assuming the role in entirety on January 1, 2020.